What do Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs do?
Drive automobiles, vans, or limousines to transport passengers. May occasionally carry cargo. Includes hearse drivers.
- Follow relevant safety regulations and state laws governing vehicle operation and ensure that passengers follow safety regulations.
- Test vehicle equipment such as lights, brakes, horns, or windshield wipers, to ensure proper operation.
- Arrange to pick up particular customers or groups on a regular schedule.
- Provide passengers with assistance entering and exiting vehicles, and help them with any luggage.
- Notify dispatchers or company mechanics of vehicle problems.
- Complete accident reports when necessary.
- Communicate with dispatchers by radio, telephone, or computer to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service.
- Drive taxicabs, limousines, company cars, or privately owned vehicles to transport passengers.
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance such as regulating tire pressure and adding gasoline, oil, and water.
- Pick up passengers at prearranged locations, at taxi stands, or by cruising streets in high traffic areas.
- Record name, date, and taxi identification information on trip sheets, along with trip information such as time and place of pickup and drop-off, and total fee.
- Perform minor vehicle repairs such as cleaning spark plugs, or take vehicles to mechanics for servicing.
- Vacuum and clean interiors, and wash and polish exteriors of automobiles.
- Pick up or meet employers according to requests, appointments, or schedules.
- Perform errands for customers or employers, such as delivering or picking up mail and packages.
- Determine fares based on trip distances and times, using taximeters and fee schedules, and announce fares to passengers.
- Operate vehicles with specialized equipment, such as wheelchair lifts to transport and secure passengers with special needs.
- Turn the taximeter on when passengers enter the cab, and turn it off when they reach the final destination.
- Collect fares or vouchers from passengers and make change or issue receipts as necessary.
- Provide passengers with information about the local area and points of interest, or give advice on hotels and restaurants.
- Report to taxicab services or garages to receive vehicle assignments.
Related Jobs (Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs)